01-09-2017 Countdown to Spring Training

by Mary 9. January 2017 21:09

I don't have the exact numbers, but we are more than half way toward the end of the Reds baseball desert.  Spring training is around the corner, and i can't wait.  I've got the college football championship game on, but can't get very enthusiastic about either team.  I'm tepidly rooting for Clemson because my cousin's son is a student there.

Just read an article on RedReporter providing 22 (million) reasons to love Joey Votto. Take a hike, Marty B!

Comments (16) -

1/10/2017 12:22:46 AM #

I must say that the football game certainly got more interesting at the end.  After fallling behind 14-0, I thought Clemson was sunk.

RedFaced
RedFaced
1/10/2017 8:17:14 AM #

Enjoyed the game last night, I thought Clemson would win but didn't realize it would be such a good finish.

Enjoyed the Joey Votto article too Mary, thanks for sharing the link.  I'm guessing no-one will do a "22 Reasons Why We Love Marty" article anytime soon.

Trying to get geared up for Spring Training here also, basketball season will take center stage for a while - ain't that right Gene.  But I think we are in for an interesting Spring this year.  Lots of young guys should be getting lots of action.  Time to turn the page once again.  The current situation with Cozart and BP remind me a lot of the season the Reds came into knowing they needed to move Dunn and Jr.  I believe they both moved just before the trade deadline - perhaps Dunn was even after the deadline.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the same happen with Cozart and BP.  Kind of crazy how no-one needs a defensive SS on what should be a reasonable salary.

1/10/2017 2:37:41 PM #

Hey gang, while I am rived up by BB, my first love personally, I am always glad for baseball season to come around.

One, it means good weather is just around the corner--speaking of which, Mary you stay safe out there with this weather front you guys are experiencing.

Two, baseball brings something no other sport brings--entertainment almost every day for the better part of 7 months. That is hard to beat.

I did not think Clemson would win, but was very glad they did. I have no issues with Bama', other than they have won way too much, so  I was glad to see someone else step up. I have always liked Clemson somewhat, so that was a nice throw-in as well. I also like both coaches.

Here is hoping someone indeed picks up Cozort, both for him and the Reds, so the youngsters can get more playing time, he can maybe play with a contender.  It appears appears BP is just not going anywhere, so Cozart becomes the only piece we might be able to move?. My preference would be for BP to go, Cozart stay around for a year or so, but that is just not going to happen.

Still, ST always brings some surprises--you just never know--another reason to be excited.

1/11/2017 11:49:46 AM #

Quite the snow storm still going on here.  Up to a foot of snow so far and still snowing.  Since my street is never plowed, I will be stuck for awhile.  I got out yesterday after being iced in from Saturday to Tuesday morning, so I'm well stocked.  30,000 people without power, but so far I still have mine.  Trees are so covered with snow some branches are touching the ground.  Last winter there was one snowfall of 3 inches the entire year.  This is record setting.

1/11/2017 4:38:47 PM #

Mary, hang in there girl.

Praying for your safety--and heat and electricity!

Dawinnaples
Dawinnaples
1/12/2017 11:41:11 AM #

Not just the snow but an extended cold streak for Portland. May be Tuesday or Wednesday before it melts. Gracious me.

1/12/2017 3:46:22 PM #

I just came in from digging a path from my front door to the street--140 ft.  I don't think I'll get my driveway cleared as it is U shaped and about 300+ feet total.  It is bright, sunny day and beautiful.  I'm really glad to be retired and not have to figure out how to get out with my car to go to work. I've got power, plenty of supplies, and good neighbors, so things are not bad for me.  Seattle was nice enough to send plows and salt trucks (and salt, since until now Oregon has not used salt by choice) so hoping thinks get moving soon.

On another topic, Red Reporter has another article on Joey Votto www.redreporter.com/.../figuring-out-a-hall-of-fame-path-for-joey-votto

1/12/2017 3:53:55 PM #

I should add--MY STREET WAS PLOWED!!  Of course, my property line in also the dividing line between Multnomah and Washington Counties and the plowing stopped right at the line (cleared on the Multnomah side, not cleared, but packed down by the plow so that it will be icier on the remaining 30 yards to the next intersection. I believe this may be a case of "working to contract".

1/13/2017 8:22:36 AM #

Mary,

Glad you are getting some help locally with the salt trucks, neighbors, etc. I don't think I would touch that 300 foot driveway with a shovel either--especially when you are retired,  and travel is not a necessity.

Nice article on Joey, appreciated.

I have always said he has a chance of being productive for a long time playing the position he plays--it is just not as physically stressful as other positions. Being a contact hitter helps as well, as adjustments can always be made by great hitters, guys with eye to hand coordination, that just need to make solid contact, and not hit HR's.

It would be nice to see him be productive, spend his entire career with the Reds--assuming he actually can stay productive, stay away from serious injury. If Joey cannot produce, I fully believe he is one of those guys that would just come in one day, say I can't do it anymore, and for my sanity, the good pf the team, I am going to step aside. I could be wrong, of course, but I don't think so?

1/13/2017 8:29:35 AM #

LOL at the "plow clearing" lines of demarcation! We have the same deal here in the mountains. I live in Wyoming Co., and you cannot get out of here in any direction without crossing a mountain full of multiple sharp curves.

We get to the top of the mountains just fine, as Wyo. Co. does a really good job of clearing the bad roads. However, once you get to the top of the mountains heading down into Raleigh, Mercer, Boone, or Logan Co.,, the roads are almost always terrible, and you are on your own. We always say, partly due to the situation I just mentioned, getting up a mountain is no trouble, going down is a totally different animal!

1/13/2017 1:46:56 PM #

I saw a Facebook post from the Reds PITCHERS AND CATCERS REPORT ONE MONTH FROM TODAY

1/13/2017 5:56:44 PM #

I saw a tweet saying JJ Hoover had signed a minor league deal with the Dbacks.  Hope he can straighten his head out

1/13/2017 7:18:42 PM #

Pulling for JJ as well. I have always liked him a lot, even though his performances have been less than desirable for some time now. My kind of guy.

Hopefully, a new zip code, pitching coach, will do the trick for him?

One month from today it all begins anew!

1/13/2017 7:35:16 PM #

Also saw a story today that the Reds avoided arbitration with Zack Cozart and signed him to a one year deal for $5.235M

1/13/2017 9:08:32 PM #

You know what, I am glad Zach got this deal. Even if he is traded, he will at least get some payback for his performance the last couple years, and a year to prove he is healthy enough to contribute--if not here, then somewhere else..

Guy seems to be class in every respect, a team leader, good example for the youngsters,  and his performance has been stellar for the last 2 years when he was healthy.

In short, he earned this contract, IMO. Given our basic rebuild payroll, it was definitely something the Reds could most likely afford for 1 year for sure.