04-24-2012 GAME THREAD: Mat Goes to the Matt As the Reds Take on the Giants

by btalbert25 24. April 2012 11:12

Gametime: 7:10 p.m. ET

Location: Great American Ball Park

TV/Radio: FS-Ohio, 700WLW-AM

Lineups:

Cincinnati (7-9 and Hoping This Is the Series They Top .500)

Cozart 6

Stubbs 8

Votto 3

Phillips 4

Bruce 9

Rolen 5

Ludwick 7

Hanigan 2

Mat Latos (0-2, 8.22 ERA)

San Francisco (9-7 and Uh-Oh, Their Starter Has Two Ts)

Tba

Matt Cain (1-0, 1.88 ERA)

Batter Up:  I’m pretty excited to see the Giants in town.  I may make a trip over to GABP for one of the games this series.  As much as I hate the Cubs, I love the Giants.  The first Reds’ game I ever attended was in April of 1986.  I remember a few things very well.  There was a strange UFO I later came to know as the Goodyear Blimp.  Fireworks, though loud (I had to cover my ears) were awesome, and I was on cloud 9 going to a baseball game with my dad.  I also remember some of the fans around us were impressed that at 4 years old I could tell you who all the players and what position they played.  Did I ever mention that I’ve been obsessed with the game of baseball since I came out of the womb?  Anyway, that first game, the one I still look back at and smile.  The one that made baseball real, and not just a game on TV.  That first game was against the San Francisco Giants.  My dad always took me to games against the Giants as a kid because they were a rival and they were often pretty good.  If it wasn’t a Giants game, we went to see the Dodgers when they were in town.

I’ve always just admired that team because of it.  If the Reds don’t do well, I’m happy to see the Giants win.  I was happy to see the Giants win a World Series game live and in person back in 2010.  I liked Barry Bonds, yeah I was that one guy.  I feel he was a HOF before the roids and even after it was awfully impressive to see what he was accomplishing.  At any rate, I really like the Giants, and hope to catch a game this week.

Leading Off:  I think we are witnessing a new Drew Stubbs.  It’s a very small sample size I know, but what I’ve seen out of him in the lineup recently, I really like.  He’s displaying better pitch selection, he’s making contact, and his outs are productive.  He’s putting the ball in play to the right side with runners on, so they can advance or score too.  I really like what I’m seeing.  Again, I know it’s a small sample size, but if he keeps it up, I wouldn’t mind seeing Stubbs back at the top of the lineup.  I’m not suggesting we do this tomorrow, but if he goes 2 weeks hitting like this, it’s an option that should be explored.

Rounding Third and Heading for Home:  A list of some neat roadside baseball sites.  Then there are sites that should be remembered but aren't.  Who doesn’t love a great burger?  Or a dog?

Comments (344) -

4/24/2012 11:17:04 AM #

Thanks, bta--sorry it took so long to get put up.

Jamie Ramsey ‏ @Jamieblog

Stubbs in the 2-spot: 8-for-22, .364, 5g... #Reds

That's just this year.  I think he has done about as well in his career (somewhere around 60-70 plate appearances)

4/24/2012 11:26:58 AM #

I was concerned BP might get one more day off with Willie's numbers vs cain.

riverotter68
riverotter68
4/24/2012 11:27:50 AM #

Another nice starter, BTA.  Good catch on the dreaded double consonant for Cain.

I think I'd leave Stubbs in #2 spot as long as he continues to hit.  I suspect hitting in front of Votto may be part of the reason for his recent success.

4/24/2012 11:34:55 AM #

BTA,

Very well done.

Me, I have never felt anything at all about the Giants, hate, love, dislike, like. Of course, I do remember when they were huge rivals when we were in the NL West Division, as were the Dodgers. Now, the Dodgers, there was a team I lived to hate.

Oddly enough, the very weekend of ML games I ever seen at old Crosley Field was between the Reds and  Giants and Cards--a weird 2 game series between the clubs--- for some reason unbeknown to anyone I assume. Probably devised by the same folks that drew up up the TV blackout mode.

I hope you are right about Stubbs, truly do. However, as you state, I have to see a much larger sample size.

Anyway, good to be back playing baseball.

I got to believe Bray is being put on the DL. He obviously was not ready to come north, even if he was pain free. Just needed more time to round into shape, get his mechanics down.

4/24/2012 11:38:23 AM #

Uh, very FIRST ML games I ever saw!

I should have added, I got to see Mays, McCovey, , etc, and also Brock, Gibson and Co. I was just too excited to be there to realize what I was seeing in terms of great players.

4/24/2012 11:42:30 AM #

If Stubbs can only hit in the 2 hole, I am fine with that.

The key is to get guys on base for the middle of the lineup, but if it prevents an automatic out lower in the order and Stubbs can hit reasonably well there, just leave well enough alone.

Strategically, I can see how teams might think they can't throw breaking stuff to Stubbs with a speedy Cozart or Phillips on base in front of him and a desire not to walk Stubbs with Votto hitting behind him.   I suppose if you talk about "protecting" a hitter, there is no reason not to protect the guy that needs it most.

4/24/2012 11:44:19 AM #

Thanks for the starter, BTalbert.  I, too, like the Giants.  I loved the Mays/McCovey/Marichal years, and I think their colors are cool.  And I've grown to like them even more now that I see them in their Scottsdale Stadium every spring (although, of course, I root for the Reds to beat them there).

And yeah, I like what I'm seeing from Stubbs in the second spot in the order.  Keep him there.

4/24/2012 11:46:13 AM #

BT, good starter.  Always fun to remember the games we attended as kids that began making us the fans we are today (that sounds really stupid and corny - sorry).

I hope you are right about Stubbs.  He has as much potential as anyone on this team, even Bruce.  When he's going good, he hits the ball up the middle and to RF with authority.  He has these good stretches every year and then reverts back.  Let's hope this one sticks a little more.  I agree with Otter, I'd leave him in front of Votto forever if he continues to hit.  He's just as valuable there as leadoff.  Plus, this team has two guys very capable of leading off in BP and Cozart.

4/24/2012 11:47:06 AM #

...and I like the starter.  I remember my first Reds game (against the Dodgers) in 1984.  Dave Parker hit a home run.  I also remember fans riding him and saying he was washed up.  He showed them in '85 & '86, I suppose.  Parker would have been a slam-dunk Hall Of Fame guy if not for those lost years in the early 80s.

I miss the old NL West.  I do not miss staying up late at night with a radio in bed to listen to the games.  Of course, that was back when I was a kid.  Now, I would not have to hide the radio.  Of course, I also would not be able to stay up that late... so it is probably a wash.

4/24/2012 11:57:31 AM #

I would much much much MUCH rather see the Reds play an extra series against the Dodgers and Giants every year than to be forced to sit through a series with Baltimore or Kansas City.  Truth be told I'm not even crazy about playing Cleveland or the Yankees and Redsox either.  I don't hate interleague play, I just hate what it did to some of baseballs great rivalries while trying to manufacture new ones.

4/24/2012 12:02:22 PM #

I do hate interleague play, but it is what it is.

I still think that 2013 is the beginning of the end for the leagues being that different.  Once there is year-round interleague play, the DH in the NL will not be far behind (especially if offense stays down).  I think that is the Reds' ace in the hole for the Votto contract - the assumption that by the time he is 36 or so there will be a DH position to put him at.

It is a bit odd that MLB is the only major sport where, during the season AND during the playoffs, the rules change depending on which park you are playing in.  It was part of the charm of the game, but now I fear to most folks (including the Evil Overlord himself) it just looks antiquated.

4/24/2012 12:10:25 PM #

I'm a little torn about it all really.  It would be nice to have Frazier or Heisey in the lineup every day and not have to march out a guy who is going to get on base 1-2 times out of 10 in the lineup.  Plus, at the end of the day, do I really want Johnny Cueto out there running bases?  Not really.  I remember when Rijo broke his leg sliding into a base, if something like that happened to Cueto, Latos, or down the road Chapman, it would be horrible.

I love baseball and the quirks of the game, but in today's game I'm  not so sure it's a bad idea to make the DH an NL thing too.  I'd really rather not play against AL teams every year, but that's not going away.

4/24/2012 12:13:49 PM #

Oh, PUHLEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!  No DH in the NL!  I like Crash Davis' belief that there oughtta be a constitutional amendment outlawing astroturf and the designated hitter.

4/24/2012 12:04:19 PM #

my thoughts exactly--of course, I don't have to stay up so late to watch the west coast games now

4/24/2012 12:08:05 PM #

Mary--I've always wondered:  Is it weird to start tracking a Reds game at 4:10 in the afternoon?  And what about those 9:35 a.m. game times for Businessperson Specials?

4/24/2012 12:14:53 PM #

actually, west coast night games now seem strange to me, as I tend to follow the Reds only. I will occasionally watch some other team if I'm with someone who is interested in it, but rarely on my own.

4/24/2012 12:04:12 PM #

Totally agree on the rivalry games lost due to inter-league play.

I remember listening to those games on the West Coast as well.

Even after I got married, began teaching/coaching in 1967, I still would turn the radio on for the Dodgers and Giants, even though I had to get up around 5:30 A.M.

Of course, so did my wife. She used to joke she went to bed with 3 men every night, Gene, Marty, and Joe.

What a woman!

4/24/2012 12:07:37 PM #

Be honest, Mary. The reason you began working from home was so you would not miss any of the beginning of Red's games while trying to get home for a 4:00 West Coast start, or, totally miss day games.

4/24/2012 12:12:18 PM #

damn-- you caught me!

4/24/2012 12:10:38 PM #

Great starter, BTA!  Although, I think the Epic Dog at the GABP is better than the coney.  Now, if they would come up with an UBER-EPIC dog (bacon-wrapped footer smothered in Skyline and cheese), I might hafta to try 10 or 12.

I do miss the NL West.  I couldn't stand Garvey, Cey, Valenzuela and especially Lasorda.  It was so funny to watch him trot out to an umpire-he looked like a blue and white penguin waddling out there.

I hope Stubby keeps it up and I think Rolen will start seeing some of those rockets fall.

Oh, and thanks BJS for letting me know I was actually a quasi-modern pitcher without knowing it!  I guess my teacher just dumbed down the expression for me.

4/24/2012 12:16:59 PM #

I'm going to have to hunt through some old threads that are still on the Enquirer site from a couple of years ago--we had several that expounded upon our dislike of the Dodgers in great detail.  I remember writing a starter for  one of them where I outlined my many reasons for an inability to become a Dodger fan in spite of living in their backyard

4/24/2012 12:27:02 PM #

I remember that starter.  I dislike the Dodgers so much, I refuse to wear anything Royal Blue-even my blue jeans are almost white.  I think that's why I hated High School so much.  Xenia's colors?  Royal blue and white.  grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

4/24/2012 12:35:36 PM #

Hate to say it, but I have a similar respect for the Dodgers as I do the Giants.  I also have to say I really like Lassorda.  He would be toward the top of the list of people I'd like to meet.  I just always felt like I'd much rather see one of the old Western Division teams win over a team like the Cards, Cubs, Braves(though they were Western too) and ugh, the Mets.

4/24/2012 12:41:44 PM #

It's Bray to the DL.

4/24/2012 12:42:21 PM #

@Reds: #Reds disable LHP Bill Bray (left groin), recall RHP J.J. Hoover (#60). When he pitches Hoover will make his Major League debut.

4/24/2012 1:48:34 PM #

I just hope Hoover doesn't...well...you know....suck.

4/24/2012 2:01:38 PM #

I'm glad you got that out of the way.

4/24/2012 2:09:45 PM #

Laughing

4/24/2012 2:17:22 PM #

Something to go with your Vott-Os.
mlb.mlb.com/.../article.jsp?content_id=29471652

4/24/2012 12:58:26 PM #

I'm really glad that we waited 16 games to put Bray on the DL (and lost at least two games because of it).

My goodness. I'm glad for Hoover being up, but I simply cannot fathom why it took this long.

4/24/2012 1:01:05 PM #

It's truly mind-boggling, especially since Dusty put Bray in crucial situations even after he said he wouldn't.

The way the team handles the DL is ridiculous.

4/24/2012 1:37:17 PM #

This means Chapman will never leave the bullpen, between Bray being the "other" lefty since we must save Marshall for SAVE SITUATIONS and Masset is likely not back for a long time.

4/24/2012 1:39:05 PM #

You are correct.

The good news is that we're getting some important innings out of Chapman (as evidenced by his W-L record).  The bad news is that it's keeping him from the rotation where he belongs.

timmytwoshoezzz
timmytwoshoezzz
4/24/2012 2:06:49 PM #

not mention that it substantially hurts the Reds chances of winning in '13 and '14

4/24/2012 1:26:53 PM #

does seem rather bumbling at times.

4/24/2012 1:47:19 PM #

Since we all know Bray should have been DL'd much earlier I propose that we back date it to before Cairo going on the DL and award anyone who might have picked Bray.

Of course I picked Bray but that's beside the point.  I can't help it if I'm smarter than the GM.

4/24/2012 2:08:41 PM #

RF,

Oh, we knew your assessment of the rules was totally innocent in nature.

4/24/2012 2:08:57 PM #

I don't know if it's worth posting here, but a scout for an NL West team is buddies with an old friend of ours. And he claimed that the Reds would replaced Dusty, sometime in the future, with Tony La Russa.

I'm only telling you guys this in case there's a lick of truth to it. Because if there is, I'm going to become a full-time Angels fan, disown the Reds, and cut my Reds tattoo out myself with a sharp knife and rusty spoon (just to ensure infection, which will remind me of my past folly).

timmytwoshoezzz
timmytwoshoezzz
4/24/2012 2:10:36 PM #

that ain't happening.

4/24/2012 2:11:29 PM #

I saw that, and sure, it's interesting and probably got a lot of retweets. I would be surprised if it's anyone other than David Bell, the way he's been moved up within the system so quickly.

4/24/2012 2:18:04 PM #

Well, just in case, I'm going to leave a spoon in water for awhile so it'll rust. Have to be prepared, you know.

4/24/2012 2:18:05 PM #

Something to go with your Vott-Os.
mlb.mlb.com/.../article.jsp?content_id=29471652

4/24/2012 2:19:43 PM #

Reply jail is killing me already today.
Let's try this again.
Something to go with your Vott-Os.
mlb.mlb.com/.../article.jsp?content_id=29471652

4/24/2012 2:21:36 PM #

Soccer, you're having the worst Reply Jail luck in the world. So I'll just respond here:

I desperately want that stupid bowl and spoon. I'm ridiculous, I know. But if I had a kid, I'd take him just to steal the bowl.

4/24/2012 2:25:46 PM #

You're going to have to go the e bay route on that one big fella. I'm not going that day. Did you eat your Vottt-O's or just save the box as an art piece?

4/24/2012 2:31:14 PM #

I still have a Johnny Bench Wheaties box.  I refuse to open it now for fear of the smell.

4/24/2012 2:33:37 PM #

I'd be more afraid of all the long dead bug carcasses

4/24/2012 2:33:10 PM #

I'm definitely not going to eat it - keeping the whole box intact!

4/24/2012 2:35:50 PM #

They're really tasty.

4/24/2012 2:39:32 PM #

Especially good with chocolate milk poured over them,says The Little Guy. I'll take his word for it.

4/24/2012 2:27:09 PM #

YOUR VIDEO WILL START AFTER THIS LOWE'S COMMERCIAL THAT YOU HAVE SEEN 800 TIMES.

NO, SERIOUSLY, STOP DOIN' WHAT YOUR DOIN' BECAUSE BETWEEN THIS SONG AND THAT NISSAN ALERT SIREN MY HEAD ASPLODE.

4/24/2012 2:31:21 PM #

One more reason to hate redbirds.

riverotter68
riverotter68
4/24/2012 2:45:53 PM #

I was about to post the same thing

4/24/2012 2:31:02 PM #

I appreciate the fact that ZERO Reds players appear to have any shame whatsoever. I really do. It's endearing.

4/24/2012 2:33:14 PM #

No, if Leake had no shame that bowl would have been full of cereal AND milk.

4/24/2012 2:34:45 PM #

I think Bronson Arroyo is the poster boy for this though, going back to those JTM commercials with the Creeper

4/24/2012 2:31:16 PM #

I believe all the La Russa talk is just that, people like to draw conclusions and such but really there is nothing going on is my guess.

I do believe David Bell is the most likely candidate to be the next coach as Amy mentioned.

Let's make one thing clear though, after dealing with Dusty and his Magic 8 Ball like approach to the lineup and bullpen I'd gladly welcome in La Russa.

Ash - can I film the tattoo removal for prosperity should it actually come to pass?

4/24/2012 2:35:32 PM #

or for posterity?

4/24/2012 2:36:10 PM #

Hahahaha, I've been Gene'd

4/24/2012 2:37:54 PM #

Now I have to leave it intact and unedited for posterity.

4/24/2012 2:36:39 PM #

Let's make one thing clear....after dealing with Dusty and his Magic 8 Ball-like approach to the lineup, many of us would gladly welcome a fungo bat, a rosin bag and a Happy Meal as a manager triumvirate.

4/24/2012 2:37:34 PM #

But not Tony La Russa.

4/24/2012 2:38:58 PM #

I agree on LaRussa.  He wouldn't be my pick at all, but I'd take him over Dusty.  He's a proven jackass, but he's also a proven World Champion.

Hopefully the Reds will start winning despite Dusty, and he can ride off into the sunset after this season.  If that doesn't happen, I suspect Jim Riggleman would be the guy on a temporary basis followed by David Bell.

4/24/2012 2:35:41 PM #

Is Cereal Bowl day also Mother's Day?

4/24/2012 2:38:52 PM #

Hey...that's right. That might be what I want for Mother's Day. Hmm....

4/24/2012 2:38:59 PM #

Interesting article on Latos - www.fangraphs.com/.../

He ISN'T throwing the way he used to. 27% sliders for his career; 10% now. His fastball velocity is up (compared to his past Aprils), but his command isn't, and he's approaching hitters in a completely different way.

I hate to say it, but how do you not blame the Reds for something like that? My God - just freaking approach guys the way you used to. Why change it?

riverotter68
riverotter68
4/24/2012 2:56:39 PM #

It's interesting that it looks like his release point is different than it was in 2010 and 2011.  Perhaps the change has increased his velocity but resulted in less bite on his slider and less control, which is why he's been throwing more fastballs.  It might be time to go back to his old delivery.

It might also be worth letting Hanigan catch him for a couple of games.  Frankly, I'm not sure why Arroyo needs his own personal catcher at this point.  It might be educational for Snacks to catch Bronson.

4/24/2012 2:57:57 PM #

I agree 1000% on Hanigan. He's just so much better than Mes at this point that any game that Mes catches is a huge disadvantage for the Reds.

4/24/2012 3:39:44 PM #

Do we know if this his approach overall in his career, or just in April?

I mean, he always has sucked in April.  Maybe it's because he can never find the slider early on?

4/24/2012 2:51:50 PM #

Ash,

There is a possibility he does not get command of his slider until hot weather arrives?

Just a thought.

4/24/2012 2:55:24 PM #

I'm pretty sure they accounted for that in the article.

He certainly improves as the season goes on - maybe he knew he struggled in April and was trying to change something to make it get better? Who knows.

What I DO know, though, is against the Giants, he's had success in every month. He needs to just go out and throw his game and he'll be fine.

4/24/2012 3:07:31 PM #

On getting into bed with, sleeping with, the enemy--Mr. LaRussa.

Long time ago I absolutely hated a particular high school in our area, and I use hate in the worst sports hate you can think of. On top of that, I hated their coach even worse--a real jack wagon--to put it in PG-13 as BTA mentioned this morning.

Long story short ( I can do that sometimes ), after 8 years of retirement, I got the itch to go back into coaching, the job at that school came open.High School BB jobs where I live are very, very hard to come by. BB rich area.

The former coach I hated was now the principal there. I did not get the job, as the principal did not want me, but after a year, the coach that did get it had to give the job up, I reapplied--got it. I asked for a meeting with the principal during the summer before school opened, which he granted.

My very first words to him was, "I have always hated your guts. However, I am the coach of your school now, and I will do the very best job I can do for your team, your school, in the classroom, out. I would like to start fresh and see where we end up. Can you do that?"

He laughed at me, shook my hand, said you are my man, I will be behind all the way as long as I think you are doing the right thing. I will have your back. By the way, he said, I never hated you, I just had to stand up for the former coach because he was one of my players.  I always preferred you as the coach.

He kept his word, I kept mine, we have been really close friends since 1990.

Moral of the story, you can tolerate a jackass ( him, or me? ), as long as they are on your team, wearing your colors, and doing the job well. When a jackass moves on, you can hate them worse than before because they left ( except for retirement ).

Think Pete Rose. When he was ours, I loved him. When he was someone's property other than the Reds, I saw him for the jackass he was/is.

Tony LaRussa, if he is ours, wearing a Reds uni, I could never love him, but I could sure tolerate him--assuming he got the job done.

That said, I would vote for David Bell, Pete Mac, or Riggleman, anytime.

riverotter68
riverotter68
4/24/2012 3:24:35 PM #

Like Ash, I'd have a very difficulty time tolerating LaRussa.  However, you're right Gene, I'd eventually come around (probably) if he was the Reds' coach.

4/24/2012 3:10:44 PM #

Uh,

Before someone jumps me, I see I did not make it short.

It's hard to type out loud.

4/24/2012 3:11:42 PM #

Gene, don't worry about it.  Great story!

4/24/2012 3:17:23 PM #

From the Otter's lips to Dusty's ears - Hanigan catching tonight!

riverotter68
riverotter68
4/24/2012 3:22:03 PM #

If only Dusty would listen to my suggestions during the game

4/24/2012 3:18:58 PM #

There you go. Those Otter's are slick little rascals.

4/24/2012 3:20:11 PM #

I wouldn't worry too much about Latos yet, especially concerning his pitch selection, etc.  So much of that is the scouting reports, lineups, matchups, etc.

Looking at the pitch data, the start that skewed those slider stats for Latos was the Cardinals start where he threw mostly fastballs.  Johnny Cueto did the same thing the day before going 7 innings allowing 1 run.  The other two starts by Latos were only slightly down from the previous year's slider rates.

Also, the Reds may or may not be trying to change Latos some, but my guess is they are trying to tweak his game like they did Cueto.  Latos is a young guy that hasn't really had a great record of pitching deep into games.  He needs to learn to pound the zone with strikes and pitch to contact so he can last late in games and become more consistent.  He hasn't learned how to do this consistently yet.  If/when he does, he'll be great.  As of now, he's at most a #2 starter with a little ways to go.

I know this isn't what anyone wants to hear, but my guess is Latos is up and down this year.  He'll still be good plenty, but it's going to take him time to adjust to the Reds.  He's also still just 24, almost 2 years younger than Cueto.  Next year is the year we should really expect big things from him.

4/24/2012 3:21:51 PM #

I'm with you Gene, I have long said I don't need a coach to be the likable kind of fella I want as a neighbor or son-in-law, I want a coach.  Dusty could be my neighbor and I'd like that, we'd have a beer on the deck.  Tony LaRussa, I'd be lighting bags of feces on fire on his porch, but you're darn right I'd like that guy running my team.  3 World Series titles and a few more appearances, they guy has been there many times and has won it 3.  That's more than any Reds manager I can remember.

4/24/2012 3:23:39 PM #

I've noticed when Mes pitches he has to make a LOT of trips to the mound.  It gets frustrating to watch, I can't imagine trying to pitch to him.

4/24/2012 3:28:31 PM #

That's another reason these guys should be personal catchers for different starters.  Mes needs to learn the entire staff.  I love Hanigan, who clearly needs to be the guy right now, but Mes is clearly GOING to be the guy in the not so distant future.  He's still learning, but he shows signs of being a good backstop and has the potential to be the middle of the order bat this team so desperately needs.

I think that Mes should be catching Cueto as much as he can.  Dog was awful calling games, but not with Cueto, because JC knows what he's doing now.  His catcher doesn't matter as much as Bailey, Leake, or Latos at this point.

4/24/2012 3:28:49 PM #

Lord, reasons they should NOT be personal catchers.

4/24/2012 3:33:33 PM #

Talbert - we don't need Mez pitching.  Ha just kidding with you, you didn't say prosperity at least.

4/24/2012 3:35:18 PM #

Gene - to a degree I do the same with Calipari now.  I don't hate him like I do someone like Bob Knight or Calhoun but I don't really like the guy much. I knew he'd be successful at UK and when Donovan didn't take the job I thought he was the next best choice for the program.

4/24/2012 3:59:09 PM #

Redfaced, I'm glad you admit that.  So many of my friends who are diehard UK fans used to talk so much crap about Cal when he was at Memphis.  They said he was a cheater and recruited thugs etc.  He's basically running his program and recruiting the same way he did there, pulling in great classes like he did there, but no you don't dare talk about about him to these folks.

I have been saying since Pitino left, he was the only choice that could have the program at that Mid 90's level that Pitino built it up to.  People used to look at me like I had 2 heads when I would say that!  Look who was right 14 years ago! lol.

4/24/2012 4:01:38 PM #

I said the same thing when Urban Meyer took over Ohio State too.  I love the Buckeyes and when that was announced I was thinking YES!!!!!!  The guy may be a jerk, I really don't know, I'm not convinced he's a nice guy I can tell you that much, but damn he can recruit and he's intense.  There was no better hire Ohio State could of made than that.  Just like there was no one else, even Donovan, that UK could of hired who would of come right in and changed things around like Cal did.

4/24/2012 4:09:22 PM #

I agree 100%, Calipari worries me a bit to be honest.  He's a salesman all the way but so far it's working.  I don't think he's necessarily dirty but I think fuzzes the grey line.  I really don't know how the NCAA could penalize Memphis for letting Rose play when the NCAA cleared him.  Not trying to defend Calipari I just think most programs out there would have taken Rose in that instance and my stance didn't change when it became clear Calipari was coming to UK.  I was shocked that the NCAA came down on Memphis, they didn't deserve it.  Calhoun and UConn have done far worse with only hand slaps.

And yes, I'd take Urban Meyer in a heartbeat.  I think most of his issues are personal and I always thought he was a good guy when at Florida.  Don't get me started on their previous coach though.

4/24/2012 4:09:48 PM #

Agreed on Cal, not so much on Urban.  Don't get me wrong, Urban is a good coach, but it all depends on having a QB to run his system and at least one or two great playmakers on the outside and/or RB.

His offensive system is very gimmicky.  I've personally never liked it because it doesn't prepare guys for the next level.

The worst part about Urban is how he runs his team.  OSU has maybe a 4 or 5 year window to win with him, if that, because after that time, the players will be running the team and in all kinds of trouble because of the types of kids he recruits.  I realize that all programs recruit their share of bad apples, but Urban is the king of it.

Cal may be a cheat recruiting, but he runs a pretty tight ship once he has the players/on the court and he always has.

4/24/2012 4:57:03 PM #

I'll take Urban any day of the week.  Did he have players get in trouble?  Sure, but a lot of those guys had offers anywhere in America to play.  Plus, after the sporting news article came out a few weeks ago, former players and authors of Florida blogs have shot that article down.

I am concerned about his health and how motivated he'll be if he has a great 6 year run, but I think there are a lot of positives.  He inherited a team with a lot of talent, he walked onto campus and in 2 months made the number 19 recruiting class number 4.   He's landed 12 recruits already for 2013 and it looks like another monster class.

I think his biggest error at Florida was replacing great assitants with guys like Addazio.  I think he kind of hit a perfect storm, of failing health, stress from trying to compete with ruthless and unethical recruiters like Saban and miles, and it all just kind of came to a head.

Put the guy where his career started, give him the job that his idol Woody had and his mentor Earl Bruce had, and we could be seeing his final stop.  Ohio State is going to be good with Meyer, and Meyer will continue to bring incredible athletes to the school.  As I said above he's built 1 1/2 great classes and he's only been on campus since November.  If he found the balance he said he did and isn't taking on too much, he'll be around a while.  If he didn't in 6 years we'll be looking for a new coach.

This year they'll be good, 2013 they'll be very good, and I think 2014 there's a really good shot Ohio State will be playing for a BCS title or whatever it'll be called then.

4/24/2012 4:58:30 PM #

As a former OC (small high school level), I cannot stand the spread because it does not teach proper fundamentals to take kids to the next level.  Now, D-3, they aren't going anywhere but to the corporate orafices in this world-those teams can run the spread.  If you have a high-caliber traditional D-1 football with a history of many draft picks, they better be running a pro style offense and defense.

Coaching in a small, rural area like Gene's in WVA or mine in SW KY or NW TN, those kids better know the proper fundamentals in order to prove to the big schools they belong.

4/24/2012 5:10:59 PM #

I hear that a lot, but look at how many kids from Urban Meyer's system are in the NFL or have played in the NFL.  He made Alex Smith the number 1 overall pick and Tim Tebow(NOT A GOOD QB) a first round pick.  I hear that critique a here that critique a lot, but there have been a lot of very very good NFL players drafted off of Urban's offense the last 7 or 8 years.

4/24/2012 3:36:19 PM #

These next two weeks are the most important of the season for this team.  They've started slow, but now is their chance to rebound.  I believe we're going to be able to project whether or not this team is for real this season after the next two weeks.  This is their chance.

This Giants series won't be easy, but the matchups seem to favor the Reds, especially since the Giants must be coming in tired after the doubleheader yesterday.  Then we have 6 at home with the Astros and Cubs and 3 on the road with the Pirates.  This is a stretch where the Reds need to win the majority of these games before they get in that stretch with the Brewers and Nationals followed by 6 games with the Braves and 3 with the Yankees in a 2 week stretch.

If the Reds don't do well over the next 2 weeks, they will struggle to reach .500 by the end of May, which wouldn't be a good sign.

4/24/2012 3:39:23 PM #

I'm going to have to keep up the w-l numbers on Hanigan and Snack.  I think it is now 6-3 for Hanigan and 1-6 for Snacks

We should be due for a win based upon that alone

4/24/2012 3:43:39 PM #

RF,

I was thinking of you when I posted my story. I had a feeling this might be your stance on Calipari.

I feel the same way about Huggins. i know a lot of folks love him from up in the Cincy area, but I respect his coaching much more than I like him. We are definitely personality opposites.

BJ, etal,

No panic here on Latos either. Still, the sooner the better--obviously.

I have been thinking ( yep, again ). I think it might not be a bad move to put Arroyo or Leake in between Cueto and Latos. Latos is always going right after Cueto, and they are both hard throwers, similar in many ways. Latos is struggling, etc., might need to give him every advantage possible.

I realize that would have Homer going after Latos, but it might not be a bad move for a little while if Latos does not perk up soon? Homer is pretty much going to be Homer, regardless of where he is slotted, IMO.

4/24/2012 3:45:46 PM #

Mary,

Baseball is a game of stats, so you might as well keep up with that one--and we won't have to.

4/24/2012 4:01:28 PM #

There is and will always be a learning curve for rookie catchers. You have to do it in the bigs. There is no more he can learn in AAA. Eyes and ears open for Snacks and mouth shut. I think he's that kind of guy. His progression as a catcher and handler of a pitching staff will be meteoric,if my guess is right.

4/24/2012 4:04:50 PM #

I definitely think someone made the right call in drafting that kid.

4/24/2012 4:10:00 PM #

What is a catcher doing sing a word like meteoric?

I am still trying to figure out why my 2 seamer was faster than my 4 seamer.

Actually, I have been gripping a baseball in my office, and think I know why. I, for some unknown reason, gripped my 4 seamer with my fingers wider. Go figure.

Still, with the 4 seamer, the baseball threads rotate 4 times against the air, while with a 2 seamer, only 2 seams are rotating against the air.

Maybe I know nothing?

4/24/2012 4:14:08 PM #

Maybe you were throwing somewhat of a splitter instead of a true 4-seamer.

4/24/2012 4:28:10 PM #

BJ,

The thought has occurred to me that I was throwing something in between the two--not good. No one ever really taught me the right way to throw anything when I was young, as they really did not know, so I often learned the wrong way, adjusted, made it happen. I had a great arm, so I got away with a lot of it.

Sam Sneed on professionals putting with poor form, "Yea, but we do it the wrong way, the same way, every time."

4/24/2012 4:32:43 PM #

They call it the tools of ignorance,not the tools of a poor vocabulary.

4/24/2012 4:11:30 PM #

I should have said 4 times for each rotation for the 4 seamer, 2 times for each rotation with the 2 seamer.

Who cares?

4/24/2012 4:35:55 PM #

As long as you get people out,who cares what you call it or how many times it rotates.

4/24/2012 5:07:57 PM #

I actually worried about how many times it rotated as it was heading over the fence.

I only gave up two dingers in my short career.  One as a Freshman and one as a Senior.  Both times, the curve didn't.

4/24/2012 4:11:51 PM #

Apropos of nothing, this is crazy:

sports.yahoo.com/.../...-leap-video-171022775.html

Dawginnaples
Dawginnaples
4/24/2012 6:41:01 PM #

Holy Moly

4/24/2012 4:23:22 PM #

rpa - crazy indeed.

4/24/2012 5:05:46 PM #

Can anyone remove RPA's post?  If Mike Brown sees that, he'll draft the guy with the 17th pick.  Just like he took Jerome Simpson in the 2nd round with DeSean Jackson sitting there.  Just because Jerome hurdled a standing defender.  I wonder how he got so high.

That kid can jump, though.

4/24/2012 5:20:39 PM #

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

4/24/2012 5:07:49 PM #

Cain will be tough but I think the Reds will score a few late and sneak out a win tonight.  I hope I'm wrong - I hope they score 8 runs early and blow them out but I doubt that happens.

VottoLoco
VottoLoco
4/24/2012 5:08:41 PM #

I've been away for the past few days, but I have some downtime now and thought it would be good to catch up here.  Great reading, as always.  And thanks for getting a series win against the Cubs.

I've always though Hanigan gets a lot less credit for catching a game than he should.  After Harang started struggling, I looked at the difference between the times Hanigan caught him and the times Hernandez caught him.  It was night and day, and I would love to see Hanigan take the bulk of Latos' starts for now.

Regarding TLR--I don't think it would happen, but I'd be pretty happy.  Just imagine how often we could make fun of him (every game!!), and we'd still win more games.

Regarding the Giants.  I also saw my first Reds game in 1986 at Riverfront, but I'm not sure who the opponent was.  I remember getting a little Pete Rose jersey shirt and a bobblehead as souvenirs.  I still have the bobblehead, but I have no idea where the jersey is.  I was 3 at the time, and I didn't really understand anything that was going on.  However, I grew up in Sacramento, so the only Reds games I ever went to see were against the Giants.  I had the opposite experience, and I absolutely hated their guts.  Same with the A's.  Something about the fans in the area made the teams seem absolutely sleezy, and I had no trouble rooting against them.

Since the Giants' new park opened, they seem to have distanced themselves from Candlestick and the Niners fans, so I'm beginning to warm up to them.  I also had to watch them when I was dating my wife.  Her parents are big time Giants fans, and they had the game on every time I went over to their house, so father-in-law bonding time came during commercial breaks and the seventh inning stretch.  Now that the Reds and Giants aren't really rivals, I can get behind them a little more.

4/24/2012 5:09:50 PM #

We should be ABEL to overcome Cain.

4/24/2012 5:19:38 PM #

heh, I chuckled.

4/24/2012 5:11:34 PM #

BTW, winds are still blowing hard from the WNW, gusting to 30 mph.  That's pretty much straight out to left/centerfield.  Latos, please keep the ball DOWN.

4/24/2012 5:14:50 PM #

Tom Groeschen ‏ @TomGroeschen

Bray tweaked groin in his last outing 4/18, Dusty said #Reds

a "tweeked" anything is always a good way to send someone out for "rehab" for a while when they are out of options

4/24/2012 5:39:22 PM #

Chris Narveson out for year. And the competition grows weaker

VottoLoco
VottoLoco
4/24/2012 5:57:56 PM #

If David Bell replaces Dusty, I wonder what significance we can place on his near collision with Darren Baker in the 2002 World Series.

4/24/2012 6:05:20 PM #

Ha, I remember that play like it was yesterday but never realized it was David Bell.  Talk about ironic if it comes to pass.

4/24/2012 6:16:36 PM #

Brandon Phillips ‏ @DatDudeBP

#RealTalk.. Can't believe all this EXTRA stuff we have 2 do durin our @MLB drug test! Felt uncomfortable w/ #MrPeabody lookin at my #Richard

4/24/2012 6:18:43 PM #

LOL.

4/24/2012 6:19:26 PM #

That's hilarious.

4/24/2012 6:19:47 PM #

Heh. Got this from Peter King's column yesterday:

"Just walked in for a steroid pee test with my shirt off and the tester laughed and said 'Never mind, man. I think you're good' Frown''

-- @BMcCarthy32, Oakland A's pitcher Brandon McCarthy, a very slim man, on Friday.

4/24/2012 6:19:30 PM #

Bill Bray ‏ @B_Line45

Chillin in AZ for a few days...already can't wait to get back to Cincy. Good luck to my teammates against the Giants. Go @Reds!

4/24/2012 6:20:13 PM #

He sounds injured beyond repair.

4/24/2012 6:29:07 PM #

i doubt the tweak story. He is going to AZ for a reason. He is going to pitch in extended ST...something that should have been done from the start.

4/24/2012 6:27:19 PM #

To RPA's point way up the thread, I dont thing Latos has found his slider. Its been in the dirt a ton. Hence that may be why April is historically bad as RPA suggested.

Maybe he locates it better when 1. he finds it 2. he gets some nicer weather 3. He stops trying to impress so much and settles down.

Some of you have had your wish granted, Hanigan finally catches Latos. It will be interesting if that makes a difference. Hanigan does call a very good game so the kid needs to keep watching. He will figure it out.

4/24/2012 6:30:18 PM #

John Perrotto ‏ @jperrotto

Jamie Moyer's first start against the #Pirates came on 6/11/86. Bucs' lineup included a pair of rookies named Barry Bonds and Bobby Bonilla.

4/24/2012 6:45:05 PM #

Oh man. I'm not sure it's possible for there to be a combination that's better than dogs and Reds baseball.

www.facebook.com/photo.php

4/24/2012 7:08:15 PM #

Lots of seats masquerading as fans from what I can see of GABP

4/24/2012 7:20:44 PM #

Cozart has to catch that. Pagan is meat if he does.

4/24/2012 7:25:33 PM #

Nice play by Rolen, good job by Latos to work around the hit and steal to start the game.

4/24/2012 7:26:39 PM #

Nice recovery for Latos after having a runner on second with no outs; 11 pitches and no runs in the middle of one

4/24/2012 7:31:52 PM #

Stubbs just hit an off-speed pitch!

4/24/2012 7:32:34 PM #

STubbs is loving it in the #2 spot in front of Votto

4/24/2012 7:32:56 PM #

This is the best I've seen Stubbs look.

And I like Cozart burning 8 pitches out of Cain.  A hit would be nice, but 8 pitches helps the larger cause.

4/24/2012 7:38:56 PM #

BP CLEANS UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4/24/2012 7:39:06 PM #

BP!!!

(caught a HUGE break considering he struck out the previous pitch. But still.)

4/24/2012 7:39:20 PM #

BPHR!!!

4/24/2012 7:39:22 PM #

Text book on how you beat good pitching.  Keep it up Reds!

Stubbs has been hitting breaking pitches well this whole streak.  Great sign!

4/24/2012 7:40:03 PM #

This lineup seems to be working as long as BP is playing

4/24/2012 7:40:52 PM #

LOTS of pitches for Cain this inning.  Love it.

4/24/2012 7:41:30 PM #

The new helmets for Votto and Rolen could not look goofier.

4/24/2012 7:46:21 PM #

38 pitches for Cain - nothing not to love about that inning!

4/24/2012 7:46:32 PM #

Reds take a 2-0 lead after one and have made Cain throw 38 pitches

4/24/2012 7:49:33 PM #

Lots of off speed stuff for Latos tonight.

4/24/2012 7:50:54 PM #

I was going to comment on the new rawlings helmets.

Terrible

I'm going to call the rep ang make fun of him

4/24/2012 7:54:02 PM #

1-2-3 second for Latos (22 total pitches)

2-0 Reds middle of two

4/24/2012 7:55:21 PM #

made it back from soccer just in time for the BP HR (woo!!)
Currently trying to get smaller children to bed so I can really pay attention.

4/24/2012 7:55:38 PM #

Loving the patience at the plate!!

4/24/2012 7:59:18 PM #

I'm loving it too--even with that K,Ludwick still took him to 9 pitches

4/24/2012 8:01:37 PM #

Ludwick and Hanigan rung up on pitches out of the strike zone.

4/24/2012 8:02:49 PM #

Cain strikes out the side, but is up to 5 pitches after two innings

Reds 2-0

4/24/2012 8:08:32 PM #

Best AB's I have seen as a group all season. Impressive, very impressive.

4/24/2012 8:10:42 PM #

Still 2-0 Reds in the middle of 3; Latos with 32 pitches

4/24/2012 8:12:01 PM #

You know, maybe all the cold, wind blowing in at Wrigley, big park, great pitching in DC, did this club some good as far as looking for quality AB's, not swinging at everything, swing for good contact, not HR's??

4/24/2012 8:14:05 PM #

I guess Cozart saw enough of Cain in the first to know what to expect his second time up.  Stubbs just about beat that sac bunt out

4/24/2012 8:15:42 PM #

There are very few things in this world I hate more than sac bunts. But a sac bunt with your best hitter to set up a guy who struck out on three pitches two innings before?

That's terrible.

4/24/2012 8:17:19 PM #

except that guy who struck out is still JOey  Votto

timmytwoshoezzz
timmytwoshoezzz
4/24/2012 8:17:37 PM #

seriously?  Of all people who should be able to put the ball in play to the right side of the infield, Votto should be the best bet.  He didn't execute.

4/24/2012 8:17:38 PM #

I have no problem with it.  Stubbs almost beats it out, and that's Joey Votto you're talking about.

4/24/2012 8:16:46 PM #

Hard to believe, but Votto has 3 more Ks than Stubbs in this early part of the season

4/24/2012 8:18:02 PM #

Which is why you don't sac bunt our hottest hitter to get to him.

4/24/2012 8:17:06 PM #

No way was that a sac bunt from Stubbs, was it? Can't have been. Had to be trying to sneak one in.

4/24/2012 8:19:00 PM #

Man I hope not. Stubbs is awfully hot to be thinking about stuff like bunt hits.

4/24/2012 8:26:07 PM #

Fair enough. Good way to put it. But if he thinks it's there, can't blame him too much. Now, it is his fault it wasn't there. We can blame it on him.

4/24/2012 8:18:26 PM #

Reds leave a runner of third and the score remains 2-0 Red, Cain with 67 pitches through 3

4/24/2012 8:19:55 PM #

I got to say, any time Stubbs sacrifices, if he gets it down, its a 50-50 chance he makes it to first.

I really had no issue there either way it went, bunt, ot hit, since he has been so hot. A either or play for me.

Getting a runner to third with Votto up is odds I will take all year for add on runs.

4/24/2012 8:21:28 PM #

At any rate - I really don't like sac bunts unless they're with the pitcher or, say, in the 12th inning or something.

Don't give away outs, and you give yourself a chance to have big innings. And why would you be playing for one with Stubbs/Votto/Phillips/Bruce up?

The more I think about it, the more I hope that it wasn't a Dusty decision, but like Grizz said, Stubbs just trying to sneak a hit.

4/24/2012 8:22:58 PM #

Latos looking good.

4/24/2012 8:23:28 PM #

Latos looking really strong.

Bite my tongue, I know.

4/24/2012 8:23:59 PM #

Latos is looking like the pitcher we hoped he would be; four inning with 40 pitches and a 2-0 lead

4/24/2012 8:26:15 PM #

Ash,

Great minds on Latos!

If I am going against Cain, have a 2 run lead, I go for the tack on run there. Big inning is almost a pipe dream with him.

Again, just different philosophy. Another pitcher, i would totally agree go for the big inning with your hot hitter up.

4/24/2012 8:27:32 PM #

My prediction of a Scrubs sweep is getting closer.

Cubs up 1-0 after 1.

4/24/2012 8:29:29 PM #

Reds go down 1-2-3 as Cain is looking like Matt Cain once again

2-0 lead end of 4

4/24/2012 8:29:52 PM #

Grizz sure is optimistic these days.

4/24/2012 8:31:36 PM #

Gene, that's a fair point on Cain. Especially after last inning!

Uh-Oh. The dreaded 5th inning for Latos is off to a bad start.

4/24/2012 8:35:40 PM #

Latos through five with 3 hits, no runs  and 47 pitches

2-0 Reds

4/24/2012 8:36:50 PM #

Beautiful for Latos so far. 47 pitches through 5? Is it too early to think about a complete game shutout?

4/24/2012 8:37:26 PM #

Ash,

I am certainly glad his pitch count is up, at least he is not likely to hang around until the end.

You can relax now Ash, Latos through the fifth, and all breathe a sigh of relief on RO.

4/24/2012 8:42:13 PM #

I thought Cozart had a double in the gap there.

Have I mentioned lately how much I like him?  His leadoff at-bat set the pace for that first inning.

4/24/2012 8:46:06 PM #

You may have mentioned it. Maybe once or twice. Smile

4/24/2012 8:42:21 PM #

The Giant OF looks a it better than the Cubs did defensively

still 2-0 Reds end of 5

4/24/2012 8:43:27 PM #

Doc,

I think all are in lock step with you.

He sure has the early earmarks of a longtime guy at SS.

Agree on the first inning.

4/24/2012 8:46:56 PM #

Does having Hanigan catching him help Latos tonight or is it just that it was time for him to come around?

timmytwoshoezzz
timmytwoshoezzz
4/24/2012 8:49:05 PM #

good question, and probably not one we can answer.

4/24/2012 8:51:02 PM #

Watching Cozart this season, and not just because he made a diving catch on a weak liner, I think he's a better defensive short stop than Janish.  He gets to a lot balls deep in the hole and gets a throw off that I never saw Janish do.  He may have got to the ball or knocked it down but I think Cozart has better range.  I'm not comparing the arms Janish was 2nd to none, but I'm much more impressed overall with Cozart.  Plus, he catches the ones hit right at him too!

4/24/2012 8:54:35 PM #

Agreed.  I don't think Janish lived up to his defensive hype.  Cozart is much steadier.

4/24/2012 8:55:52 PM #

Wow. Terrible ump. Terrible.

4/24/2012 8:56:03 PM #

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. COME ON, BLUE.

4/24/2012 8:56:15 PM #

per pitchfx ball 4 was strike 3

4/24/2012 8:57:09 PM #

IT'S WHERE IT CROSSES THE PLATE, UMP!!!

4/24/2012 8:57:22 PM #

What the hell does Latos have to do to get a freaking strike call?

4/24/2012 9:02:03 PM #

This inning should have been over a freaking half hour ago.

4/24/2012 9:02:22 PM #

This sucks. Latos got jobbed.

4/24/2012 9:03:46 PM #

This is the second time this year that the umps seemingly have it out for him. I really don't get it.

4/24/2012 9:03:19 PM #

Let's not let the inning get away from the Reds --Latos is getting worked hard this inning and with the bases loaded and only a 2 run lead, it is time to  get the third out

4/24/2012 9:04:52 PM #

Stupid ump.

4/24/2012 9:05:12 PM #

That. was. big.

4/24/2012 9:05:31 PM #

I was going to ask if he was getting squeezed there.  Watching on TV it looked like that Strike Zone got awfully tight

4/24/2012 9:05:47 PM #

Announcers reminded me that Latos is actually younger than Leake.  Wow.

4/24/2012 9:05:52 PM #

whew--Latos took nearly 40 pitches, but leaves the bases loaded and the Reds still up 2-0 after 6

4/24/2012 9:06:08 PM #

Way to nut up, Mat!

4/24/2012 9:06:31 PM #

I got to say it gang--MENTAL TOUGHNESS right there!

Latos got hosed big time and come out the other end unscathed with composure.

Yep, color me impressed.

4/24/2012 9:07:48 PM #

GREAT video of Latos screaming into his glove on the way back to the dugout.  He's got the fire down below.

4/24/2012 9:08:25 PM #

Don't know the significance of this, but I have the WLW overlay on the FSO broadcast,  so I am listening to Marty and Chris W.  Marty mentioned that Latos had not shaken off Hanigan even once in the first five innings and had done it several times in the sixth. I wonder if that is part of Hanigan's value--seeing how the umps is calling the game and adjusting,while Latos wanted to continue what he was doing

4/24/2012 9:17:37 PM #

Reds leave two on in the 6th; still 2-0 Reds

4/24/2012 9:18:59 PM #

Okay, let Latos eat up the bottom of the order.  Then Chapman.  Then Marshall.

This is the kind of game at which we must throw our best.

4/24/2012 9:20:07 PM #

Yeah, I really think Hanigan makes a big difference over Mes. They've definitely been on the same page tonight - obviously, Latos is throwing better, but Hanigan is huge.

4/24/2012 9:20:07 PM #

Excellent thought process for a squirrel--a west coast one at that.

Rookie verses the veteran.

Good rule of thumb, ride the veteran, if it don't work, manager won't be mad at you.

4/24/2012 9:21:26 PM #

Mes will be great, but he is learning, just like Soccer said today--something about meteoric something another?

4/24/2012 9:21:42 PM #

Chris doesn't sound quite right on the Radio.  That was the first time I think I've ever heard him on 700.

statmom
statmom
4/24/2012 9:22:45 PM #

Just got in and heard Welsh the radio and I see The Cowboy is on TV.  Is it Opposite Day or does Welsh have a zit or something?

4/24/2012 9:30:04 PM #

from what I understand, Thom makes the schedule for the games, and he must have decided that he did not want to see Chris with a bow tie Tuesday.

4/24/2012 9:24:08 PM #

Mat Latos!!! 7 shutout innings!!

AND THAT, friends, is why we traded who we traded.

4/24/2012 9:24:36 PM #

Maybe he demanded the Radio broadcast because the radio folks got to meet Calipari and the Jim Day was the one talking to him on the TV side.  I've read that Welsh isn't always the nice fella he makes himself out to be on TV.

4/24/2012 9:24:45 PM #

Latos through 7 with 95 pitches and a 2-0 lead

4/24/2012 9:27:39 PM #

LUDWICK!!!

4/24/2012 9:27:48 PM #

LUDWICK!!! THE CIVIL WAR VET!!!

4/24/2012 9:27:58 PM #

Love that insurance run.

4/24/2012 9:28:18 PM #

Why is Cain still in the game? Is Dusty managing the Giants tonight?

4/24/2012 9:30:26 PM #

Sure seems like it.

Hebron Reds Fan
Hebron Reds Fan
4/24/2012 9:30:56 PM #

It's Turn Back the Clock Night for the Giants.  Dusty Manager Tribute Night.

4/24/2012 9:31:06 PM #

So, do you run Latos out there until he gives up a hit or a walk?

4/24/2012 9:28:31 PM #

LUDWICK!! 3-0

4/24/2012 9:33:04 PM #

Willie Harris just earned his spot on the team for another month.

4/24/2012 9:34:36 PM #

We can add 'terrible baserunning' to Willie Harris' baseball toolbox.

4/24/2012 9:35:47 PM #

Should be 4-0 if Harris does his job.

This weekend I felt bad for him. Now I'm back to just despising him.

4/24/2012 9:36:40 PM #

HA HA HA HA. Votto's reaction to that was outstanding.

4/24/2012 9:38:45 PM #

Welp. That'll work.

4/24/2012 9:39:11 PM #

Dusty chewing Willie's ass in the dugout. About freaking time.

4/24/2012 9:39:45 PM #

and the bases remain loaded--can we get a bunch of UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUs here?

statmom
statmom
4/24/2012 9:41:58 PM #

I think that qualifies!

4/24/2012 9:42:09 PM #

BRUUUUUUUUUCE!!!!

4/24/2012 9:42:37 PM #

BRUUUUUCE!! double to make it 6-0

4/24/2012 9:42:56 PM #

I still have no idea what Bochy was thinking sending Cain back out this inning.

4/24/2012 9:43:29 PM #

ROLEN!!! THE OTHER CIVIL WAR VET!!!

4/24/2012 9:44:15 PM #

and a 2 run double by ROLEN

4/24/2012 9:45:05 PM #

Seems so long ago that Ludwick hit that HR, but it really was this inning

4/24/2012 9:45:17 PM #

Well that was fun!

4/24/2012 9:45:22 PM #

It's an official breakout.

4/24/2012 9:45:31 PM #

8-0 Reds end of 7

4/24/2012 9:47:08 PM #

I have exhaled

4/24/2012 9:47:30 PM #

Throw strikes arredondo

4/24/2012 9:48:01 PM #

Oh good Harris in the game

timmytwoshoezzz
timmytwoshoezzz
4/24/2012 9:50:37 PM #

Oh good Harris is still on the team....Uhhhh

4/24/2012 9:49:17 PM #

How many times does Arrendondo get to face a pitcher

4/24/2012 9:51:38 PM #

Whoa

4/24/2012 9:52:26 PM #

Ugly swing...nasty

4/24/2012 9:53:29 PM #

Arredondo has a strong 1-2-3 inning to keep it at 8-0 Reds in the middle of 8

4/24/2012 9:53:34 PM #

Do we get Hoover in the 9th or does Dusty protect the shutout

River Otter
River Otter
4/24/2012 9:53:50 PM #

8-0 Reds.  That's a score I like to see when I check in.

4/24/2012 9:54:26 PM #

I got to give Ash credit, he sang Arredondo's  praises early on when we acquired him. Looking good.

4/24/2012 9:56:17 PM #

Just got in from The Little Guys game. What'd I miss?

4/24/2012 9:58:05 PM #

a very good game on both offense and pitching from the Reds

4/24/2012 9:59:44 PM #

It was on in the pizza place after the game. Latos looked sharp, saw him get out of trouble. Saw Ludwicks bomb

4/24/2012 9:59:00 PM #

Eh, nothin' much.

4/24/2012 9:59:52 PM #

The best part about the offense tonight that they have scored without Votto getting a hit

4/24/2012 10:01:24 PM #

Good hustle by Stubbs there. Holy crap, I said something nice about Stubbs! Alert the media.

4/24/2012 10:06:33 PM #

Watch out--Stubbs average is only .018 lower than Votto's

VottoLoco
VottoLoco
4/24/2012 10:02:27 PM #

I love those kinds of nights, too.  It means they are picking each other up and not relying too heavily on that middle of the order.

4/24/2012 10:02:01 PM #

Still nothing from Votto. Looked Very uncomfortable upmthere

Dawginnaples
Dawginnaples
4/24/2012 10:02:06 PM #

..and he was safe.

4/24/2012 10:04:55 PM #

Who was it from the Giants that hit that foul ball up in the $5.00 seats?

Hebron Reds Fan
Hebron Reds Fan
4/24/2012 10:05:43 PM #

I think it was Buster Posey

4/24/2012 10:07:54 PM #

That ball was freaking killed

4/24/2012 10:09:27 PM #

It was indeed Posey.  Yep, it was crushed.

4/24/2012 10:03:52 PM #

leCure is not the guy I'd want to see vs hard hitting lefties

VottoLoco
VottoLoco
4/24/2012 10:04:45 PM #

I'm ok with LeCure coming in at this point.  He hasn't pitched in 6 days, and this lead is...comfortable.

4/24/2012 10:05:00 PM #

LeCure is kind of a badass. Just sayin'.

4/24/2012 10:05:14 PM #

(Meant as a compliment)

4/24/2012 10:07:01 PM #

I'm not sure what happened earlier, but I'm glad to see Lecure get after the hitter.

4/24/2012 10:07:25 PM #

there goes the shutout--those extra runs are looming very large at this time

4/24/2012 10:07:38 PM #

Badass who kept throwing to the same spot

4/24/2012 10:08:42 PM #

only one pitch went behind a batter

4/24/2012 10:09:23 PM #

That usually doesn't work with good hitters.

4/24/2012 10:11:44 PM #

Has the umpire been squezing the zone all night?

4/24/2012 10:09:15 PM #

I think LeCure can get 2 outs before 7 runs.....I think

4/24/2012 10:10:09 PM #

Enough of this crap

4/24/2012 10:10:39 PM #

This would have been a nice place to get Hoover's feet wet.

4/24/2012 10:12:39 PM #

At least one Reds team won tonight.

4/24/2012 10:11:47 PM #

Woo hoo!  Love taking the opener of a series and a home stand.

4/24/2012 10:11:54 PM #

Dallas is very happy finally

4/24/2012 10:13:23 PM #

When Dallas is happy,Mat is happy.

4/24/2012 10:12:09 PM #

and this one belongs to the Reds

4/24/2012 10:13:05 PM #

that is 4 wins in the last five games,by the way

4/24/2012 10:14:00 PM #

yeah us!

4/24/2012 10:13:48 PM #

VERY happy. Reds win, and my daughter's soccer team finally won a game, too.

4/24/2012 10:14:42 PM #

Way to go !

4/24/2012 10:21:18 PM #

She still just trots around, happy to be there, kicking the ball when it comes to her. Her killer instinct only comes out at home, if one of her brothers crosses her.

4/24/2012 10:27:29 PM #

SocDaughter was like that until she was 11 or 12 then Satan came out of her.

4/24/2012 10:15:00 PM #

Dallas Latos ‏ @DallasLatos

Hey- can't individually thank everyone for the kind words but they're appreciated and I'll pass them off to Mat. Good work, #Reds!

4/24/2012 10:17:53 PM #

Soccer,

I take it the Little Reds bit the dust?

4/24/2012 10:30:58 PM #

yeah, but much better than last Thursday. We caught and threw the ball. I brought The Little Guy in to pitch from behind the plate with the bases loaded and nobody out and got out of it without a run scoring. Lost 7-4. We had the bases loaded in the last inning and couldn't get a big hit.

4/24/2012 10:30:45 PM #

Don't look now, but Holiday just hit a 2 run HR off Marmol in the 8th with 2 outs.

2-1 Cards.

4/24/2012 10:35:37 PM #

Just realized that it is nearing the end of April and we do not have anyone signed up for starters for May.  I have this weekend series with Houston, but the field is wide open after that.  The Cubs are coming in a week from today, and the Pirates and the Brewers follow on that homestand.

VOLUNTEERS?????

4/24/2012 10:40:43 PM #

Let me check my schedule

4/24/2012 10:49:54 PM #

I don't want to do the Cubs series BUT i'm basically available to do starters for the Pirates, Brewers, Nationals, and Braves series.  I can't do the Mets as I'll be on the road that weekend. If you get in a pinch or no one else can do them, I'm available for any and all of them.  I'm not so sure everyone is up for that much Brian Talbert though lol.

Also, I just sent tomorrow's starter over.

4/24/2012 10:54:57 PM #

thanks for volunteering--I'm pretty sure we'll need you for one of them, but I'm hoping we can get some additional posters involved so that the burden is not so heavy on those who do volunteer

4/24/2012 10:58:32 PM #

and I am going to be in Colorado during the Pirates and Brewers series, so I definitely can't do them then. Although I can post OK with my iPad, it a real PITA to try and cut and paste a new starter too--I tried it  and gave up in frustration, so I am hoping that Amy, Ashland, or RedFaced will be available to get them up then

4/24/2012 11:00:08 PM #

I know others will volunteer, just thought I'd throw it out there that I'm available for all of those series, that way if it gets to crunch time you know you can lean on me to take a few games in a pinch.

I've really enjoyed putting the starters together the last 4 or 5 days.

4/24/2012 10:59:52 PM #

Cubs just tied it in the 9th

4/24/2012 11:02:38 PM #

lahair'd

4/24/2012 11:04:30 PM #

Mitch williams is really ripping Matheny for not sending Motte out again tonight

4/24/2012 11:06:16 PM #

HELLO, THIS IS DOG

4/24/2012 11:02:46 PM #

Mary, I can do the starters for the Braves on the 14th/15th and then the Mets the 16th and 17th.

Things should be a little easier for me at work then.

4/24/2012 11:33:41 PM #

Thanks--I'll fill your name in for those dates

4/24/2012 11:03:51 PM #

I see that the Cubs have tied up the game with STL at 2-2 and are still batting in the bottom of the 9th--hope the Grizz's crystal ball was working when he predicted a Cubs sweep

4/24/2012 11:06:34 PM #

Cubs have the winning run on 3rd

4/24/2012 11:20:21 PM #

Mary,

I can do a series. Let me look at my calendar tomorrow. After the 3rd week of may I am nuts at work until mid july.

4/24/2012 11:28:28 PM #

How is Stubbs has shortened his swing so much?

On his k looking tonight he never took the bat off his shoulder. As soon as he gets a strike he really needs to be aggressive.

If he keeps this up and Votto gets going things could get fun to watch

4/24/2012 11:30:52 PM #

Yeah.  If the rest of the guys keep hitting, I'm thinking Votto is about to go on a huge tear.

4/24/2012 11:28:56 PM #

Cards screwed twice tonight.  Time for the Cubs to make them pay for good.

4/24/2012 11:29:31 PM #

Umps blew a caught stealing call. Molina had him.

4/24/2012 11:32:22 PM #

Did you see the replay of the Cubs sac fly in the 1st?  Play wasn't even close at the plate - out by a mile but called him safe.

4/24/2012 11:35:12 PM #

Yeah...cubs win

4/24/2012 11:36:11 PM #

Yeah I saw it. That why matheny lost it.

Umps gave cubs that one

4/25/2012 12:30:32 AM #

Tough shit you bunch of WLB's

4/24/2012 11:35:35 PM #

Cubs Win!  Cubs Win!  Cubs Win!

4/24/2012 11:34:20 PM #

Cubs crew making excuses for the ump.

Ummm brenley. It's his job to make that call

4/24/2012 11:49:37 PM #

YAY CUBS.

And don't look a gift horse in the mouth and smite it, Champ Smile

4/25/2012 12:04:32 AM #

No complaining about the result. Just seems like so many bad calls these days.

4/24/2012 11:53:03 PM #

From Mark Sheldon's game notes:

*Reds pitchers have a 2.80 ERA when Ryan Hanigan catches. The team is also 7-3 when he is behind the plate.

The overall team ERA is 3.73, so the Hanigan Effect  (HE) continues

4/25/2012 12:07:06 AM #

Lots of guys have good numbers vs zito including Bruce, Stubbs and BP. Votto has struggled.

4/25/2012 8:18:35 AM #

It looks like the Cubs are having fun. I don't ever remember them having exuberant walk of celebrations like they did last night. They doused Soriano with Gatorade and he looked like he enjoyed it. I don't ever remember seeing him smile.

4/25/2012 8:27:49 AM #

Who doesn't have fun when you take down the WLB's

4/25/2012 8:30:33 AM #

Is he that good or is Bautista that off?

Blue Jays-Official ‏ @BlueJays

John Farrell officially named Edwin Encarnacion the club's new cleanup hitter on Tuesday http://atmlb.com/JLGOiQ

4/25/2012 8:40:25 AM #

Bautista hits 3rd. I think he's pretty much replacing Adam Lind at cleanup.
Is he that good? Who knows? I think he's been DHing most of the year. He's always had some good streaks here and there. He's still horseshit!

4/25/2012 8:42:32 AM #

Speaking of lack of consistency and streaks: I'm really starting to like Stubbs in the 2 hole, so to speak.

4/25/2012 9:31:13 AM #

Who doesn't like Stubbie in the 2 hole?

4/25/2012 10:35:02 AM #

Dusty does. I think he likes Willie in the 2 hole too.

4/25/2012 10:38:36 AM #

www.ottawacitizen.com/.../story.html

Why does it take some people so long to get it. Don't they realize how much money it costs them?

4/25/2012 9:56:41 AM #

I didn't get much time to join in on the game talk last night but wanted to say it was a very pleasing game to watch.  The key IMO was working Cain that first inning.  If you are going to get to a top-shelf pitcher it's gotta be early or late they usually settle into a nice grove in between.  The only way to get them late is to make them throw a LOT of pitches so they get tired or are forced to exit the game.  The 2 runs early were huge but the 55 pitches through the first 2 innings was even bigger imo.  It shortened Cain's night drastically and the Reds feasted on the poor Giant's bullpen.

I believe the guys calling the game said that to this point Cain had only gone to a maximum of 6 pitches to any one batter this year. Well the Reds had AB's of 8, 7 and 10 pitches in the first inning alone.

I like Latos' intensity.  I think they should tell him he's playing the Giants every game.  Or perhaps we need to disguise ourselves as WLB fans and post nasty stuff about his wife so he'll hate the WLB's just as much.  You know what, we likely won't have to, they will likely take care of that themselves.

I liked tonight's lineup and feel it's pretty solid.  Swap Heisey for Ludwick or Mez for Hanni or Frazier for Rolen occasionally and we should be in good shape.

If there really is this big of a discrepancy between Mez and Hanigan calling a game then I'm a bit worried but I feel Mez will catch on and as soccer stated he is going to have to learn on the job.  I think Hanigan will also help him to get better.  Perhaps he should chart games like pitchers often do when they are going to be pitching the next game?

I love Cozy D, he just might win Rookie of the Year but even if he does not I love his game. He's solid on defense, not flashy but dependable.  I wish his arm were a bit stronger (give him Janish's arm) but he's good with the glove and the turn at second.  He looks much more mature at the plate than his experience suggests he should.  He's easily the best lead-off option on the team imo.  I would like to see the Reds get him a bit more active on the basepaths though.  He isn't as fast as Stubbs (who is) but he's quick enough to steal 30 bags a year.

Harris - YUCK.  Get this option away from Dusty ASAP Walt before I hurl.

4/25/2012 10:05:33 AM #

I didn't get to watch the game, but Ash posted above where Dusty chewed Harris's butt in the dugout for something (I can't remember).  This is a good sign that Dusty knows he can't protect him much longer if he doesn't produce.

Hanigan calls a great game and is a key to the Reds staff.  However, I don't think Mes is as bad as Dog was.  Some of the discrepancies this early I think are due to some bad luck and slow pitching starts (Latos) that don't necessarily have to do with the catching.  As bad as Dog was last year, he was fine with Cueto.  Put Mes with Cueto and give him some time with Arroyo.

4/25/2012 10:09:03 AM #

The biggest problem I have have with how the Reds are using Wee Willie is that they're leaving Wilson Valdez on the bench.

I know I've mentioned this several times, but Valdez is a quality reserve that knows how to help a team win games.  I'm surprised the Phillies let him go to be honest.  He's not an every day player, but he should be getting every extra at bat possible and be used as the first fill in for the middle infield.

Valdez is a very good defensive player and will hit when it matters.  Willie Harris will do neither.

4/25/2012 10:20:19 AM #

Redfaced I agree with you about the key being jumping on Cain early.  Not only did it help get Cain out of the game, but it helped Latos settle in early.  It's much easier to go out there with a 2-0 early, than it is tied 0-0 knowing if you make one mistake you could lose.

4/25/2012 10:20:46 AM #

Also, I don't know if you guys got it or not, but I did submit today's starter last night.  No biggie, I just want to make sure you all received it.

4/25/2012 10:22:11 AM #

Valdez doesn't get his butt chewed for making a bone-headed rookie mistake either.  I saw the play in question, I was screaming at the TV "where the hell are you Harris, you should be on third base".

I'll be honest, I think Dusty had to say something because everyone in the dugout knows that Willie is Dusty's boy this year and when you are going to over-use a guy who should rarely see playing time and he makes a mistake you end up with egg on your face.  I think Dusty undressed Willie last night a little but I think he did it more to save face for himself than he did to teach Willie the basics of a game that he's been playing all his life.

4/25/2012 10:24:36 AM #

talbert - I've got it, I'm guessing everyone else does too.  We'll likely be posting it in the next couple of hours.

4/25/2012 10:38:30 AM #

I just put the new thread up, y'all

4/25/2012 10:28:11 AM #

Will be gone most of the day, you guys and gals keep it clean, ya'heah.'

4/25/2012 10:37:24 AM #

too late for that.

4/25/2012 10:35:14 AM #

Cool deal, I just wanted to make sure you all got it!

Chemfree Carpet Cleaning
Chemfree Carpet Cleaning
7/23/2012 6:28:13 AM #

The blog is related to the mat.I like the blog post to read.Thanks a lot.